Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the First Human Rights Amendment
Join us in celebrating the 25th anniversary of the first human rights amendment to the NJ Constitution since 1844. When we began our grass roots movement in the late 1980’s, we were told by just about everyone in authority that the idea of constitutional rights for crime victims in New Jersey was the dream of few that would never become a reality.
After 1.2 million NJ voters said otherwise on November 5, 1991, the reality has become even more profound than we could have imagined. Today New Jersey is recognized as a nation leader in victims’ rights and on November 14th, the State Senate will recognize this fact and pay honor to the thousands of individuals who believed that victims of crime are entitled to fairness, compassion and respect by the criminal justice system.
THIS ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION IS FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS BEEN CHAMPIONING VICTIM’S RIGHTS CA– USES OVER THE PAST QUARTER CENTURY, AND FOR ALL WHO ARE WORKING ON THE FRONT LINES EVERY DAY ON BEHALF OF VICTIMS. WE SALUTE YOU!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- CRIME VICTIMS AND THEIR LOVED ONES (Homicide, Domestic Violence, Sexual Abuse, Human Trafficking, and all other violent crimes)
- VICTIM’S RIGHTS ADVOCATES
- GRASSROOTS VICTIMS’ RIGHTS ACTIVISTS
- ALL VICTIMS’ RIGHTS COALITIONS & AGENCY STAFF
- VICTIMS RIGHTS ATTORNEYS
- TRAUMA INFORMED MENTAL HEALTH COMMUNITY
- ELECTED OFFICIALS AND OTHER PUBLIC SERVANTS
- LAW ENFORCEMENT
- COLLEGE PROFESSORS
- COLLEGE STUDENTS/HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- SENIOR CITIZENS
- WOMEN’S CLUBS/ SOCIAL JUSTICE CLUBS /STUDENT CLUBS
- EVERYONE WHO CARES ABOUT THE RIGHTS SAFETY, HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF OUR GREATER COMMUNITY
1. 12:30PM Rally at the steps of the New Jersey Statehouse
2. Memorabilia room (NJ Senate Conference Room #6)
3. 2:00PM Recognition on the floor of the New Jersey Senate
PLEASE NOTE: We will be having a “Memorabilia Room” in Senate conference room 6. You are welcome to bring signs, posters and any information you may wish to bring commemorating this event. We will also be recognizing some of the special people who helped plant the seeds for this grass roots movement but who are no longer with us.
* WE EXPECT EVERY PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE AND VICTIMS’ RIGHTS ORGANIZATION TO BE REPRESENTED SO PLEASE ADVISE WHAT SYMBOL YOU WISH TO BRING TO THE MEMORABILIA ROOM.
We have come so far and yet we still have much work to do. This is our state. These are our beloved family and friends. We must stand up, speak up, and take care of our community — it is up to US.
I hope you can join us. Richard Pompelio 973-903-9848.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS, PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION, AND PARKING INFORMATION: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/directions.asp
CHECK OUT THE EVENT AND REGISTER HERE: